Monday, May 14, 2012

Shut Up & Strut!

I'm calling it, it's official, everyone needs to get a grip & own their own lives. 
If I heard one more in-depth discussion about mom vs. mom and what makes a good parent and how everything is everyone else's business I am going to go full Matrix. I am offering some Gypsy reality to the masses today: no ones owes you a hug! 
You are not issued a pat on the back for every choice you make, and you certainly do not have the right to cry foul and vent your indignation when the world judges you for your choices. Lets all let go of the should and could and firmly grasp ahold of what is- in every society there are activities, actions and decisions that will place you outside of the "norm." If you choose to step outside of general societies' comfort zone, then there are realities that you need to face. It's as simple as that.
I encourage everyone to push the boundaries, listen to your gut, make a few waves, I know I do. But here is the deal: you cannot then bitch when you are judged by others. I don't want to hear you wax poetic on the subject of folks judging you as "right" or "wrong," I refuse to listen to soap box speeches about how in a perfect world we would all be free to be our own unique and beautiful butterfly without having to deal with haters. It simply is.
If you rock a purple mohawk and a nose ring, some folks will cross to the other side of the street. If you adhere to a parenting philosophy that makes the evening news, you are going to generate some backlash. If you choose interpretive dance as your major, you'll get some chuckles......
Deal
That's it, just deal. No drama, no complaining about how every single person on the planet does not agree with you and wave a glitter covered poster board cheering you on when you step outside your door.
Strut, be who you are and do as you wish without desiring the approval and validation of others. If you are brave enough to step over the line of the status quo, then I expect you to be brave enough to look judgement in the eye and laugh. Do it for yourself, not for the world, because the world does not care. It grinds on & grinds up & grinds through us all. So please, before you draft your next detailed & demanding speech on how I should react to your choices, do us both a favor,
Shut up & Strut.....

No comments:

Post a Comment