Friday, May 4, 2012
Why I hate your Nook
I hate your Nook. Sorry but there is no way of getting around it. It is great that you love it, if you think it is the best thing since sliced bread, but me...not so much. When you whip it out to show me and expect me to ooh and ahh about how light and space saving it is and how it can hold so many books and you can download them in an instant and you can even read stuff for free and blah blah blah.....I smile and compliment you on it and say "gee that's great" but a little bit of me dies every time I see one being toted about. Now before you sacrifice me on the alter of progress, let me explain. I love technology! I have worshiped at the alter of the IPhone, jammed in the land of digital music, I no longer have a land line in my home & I love my Mac so much it makes me feel borderline dirty. My hatred is not rooted in logic, it is rooted in love. My love affair with books has been going strong since I was in kindergarten. Over the years, no matter where I am, what happens in my life, or where I travel, a book was my constant companion. Childhood summers spent in a treehouse with the Babysitters Club, getting busted in class reading Shel Silverstein instead of paying attention, having my vision broadened in my college Lit classes, curling up with a good book & my husband after the kids are down for the night. So many of the puzzle pieces of my knowledge come from books. From how they made butter in Little House on The Prairie, animal instinct in Watership Down, madness in The Yellow Wallpaper, the charm of The Walrus and the Carpenter, the wisdom of Frost to the guilty pleasure of Sookie Stackhouse. There is a love story, poem, tragedy for every day, every mood, and every personality. I have wandered the stacks of many libraries in my lifetime and can instantly call to mind the smell that only hundreds of books can have when grouped together awaiting discovery. Good, Bad, Terrible, Trashy, Amazing; every volume sits patiently, whispering to the passerby, cajoling you to choose them and become a different person, in a different time, a different place, a different universe, if only for a moment. Books can reveal a great deal; about yourself, others, the world. My unfailing devotion to the written word is the birth place of my hatred for the flat plastic rectangle called the E-reader. I get why you have one, but it will never in my heart replace the rumpled and dog-eared novel on my shelf that I re-read every summer like you would re-visit an old friend. I can forecast the death of the library in the glass of your convenience. I worry that the image of the young child curled up on the sunshine filled window seat with the beloved books of his mother's childhood spread around him will fade into the past. I fear the weight of a good long book, along with the craftsmanship of it's creators will crumble and fall to what ultimately amounts to more screen time. You say I should be happy because "reading is reading" and time marches on. I say to each his own; enjoy your convince, I will continue my affair within the stacks.........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment