Today to Kick Off My Spring Cleaning, I am starting with my kid's closets.
If your kids are anything like mine, they spent their entire winter eating and growing. This makes them healthy and happy, and unfortunately for mothers everywhere, it also makes their clothes too small!
My sons recently grew about 2 inches in the span of 38 seconds and is now walking around looking like he is preparing for a flood of Noah-like proportions. Since Spring and Summer is on it's way (and I am a big cheapskate when it comes to everyday kid's clothes) I have already picked him up some jeans that fit on clearance at a local store, along with 3 or four pairs from the consignment shop I use and the kid's 2nd hand store in town. You can't beat name-brand jeans for your kids when they are less than $2 with the tags still on!
All of the clothes that no longer fit my little angels will be passed on to smaller cousins or dropped of on consignment. (Make a small tote of what you know friends/relatives kids will like and will fit them within the next year, don't just throw all of it at your families heads and laugh because you successfully moved clutter from your house to theirs) Nothing is more annoying than getting bags full of clothes from someone who says "these are for your kids, aren't I helpful" only to find they contain items so stained, faded, and humongous (I'm looking at you person who gives a 6 year old size 12 items) that it turns a favor into another thing on my to-do list (I am not a Goodwill drop off site to my knowledge).
Everything not claimed and in great shape will go to the consignment store I use. Clothes that I no longer want from my closet will join them as well as all the jewelry from the bottom of my jewelry box that I don't ever wear. The 10 minutes it takes to drop the stuff off will pay off big time when I need to get a spring concert dress for my daughter to wear once, or I need some extra cash. (Remember, Consignment Shops will pay you cash when your stuff sells or will give you store credit, and I have never met a woman who did not want easy money or free clothes).
Good luck with your kid's closets~
Remember, you need to be ruthless on junk to be easy on your self!

No comments:
Post a Comment